Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Please start a damn Newbie forum!!!  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Seraphim Pride
    • www.projectknightmare.com
Please start a damn Newbie forum!!!
« on: December 05, 2000, 12:29:39 PM »
I don\'t know about you but I\'m tired of seeing the following posts every few days.

1)Duuh What are Monster Cables?
2)Umm What\'s the difference between S-Video and Component
3)Which game is better DOA2:HC or TTT
4)How is DVD playback on PS2
5)How do I get a pic under my name
6)Which position do you keep your PS2 in

So what I propose is to make a new "Newbie" Forum for all the new people and if they\'re willing have some of the tech\'s such as THX,Dolybtone and others write answers to the following questions so that less of these topics will be showing up.  

And there should be a rule about spamming; meaing stop posting little one line responses evertime someone responds to a thread you just posted at.  Thank you for your time.
Give me the gift of nothingness give me death.

Offline Black Samurai
  • RAMEN, BITCHES!!!
  • Legendary Member
    • http://www.zombo.com
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2000, 11:30:09 PM »
I don\'t think we get enough newbies to start a forum just for newbies.

BTW, You were a newbie at one time too and we were all tired of reading your foolish posts.

I think the best option would be to start a FAQ. It won\'t stop all of the tech question posts but it will stop a lot of them.
[SIZE=\"4\"][COLOR=\"Red\"]I\'m sorry, That\'s not a hair question.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Offline Seraphim Pride
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2000, 07:27:23 PM »
well point taken.  I guess it would be hypocritical of me for that but you know I mean though...

Offline Black Samurai
  • RAMEN, BITCHES!!!
  • Legendary Member
    • http://www.zombo.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2000, 08:44:18 PM »
I didn\'t mean to say that your posts were foolish. I do understand where your coming from though. I think that all of these posts by newbies is a good thing because it means our beloved board is getting more-and-more popular. We should do the right thing which is help them and answer their questions. There are a ton of people who read these boards everyday that are not posting if they see that we treat new people like crap then they will never join. We may not be mods or admins but everything we do represents this board to the people who view it. Take me for example. I was posting at NintendoNation when I read a post about how everyone over here was biased and how the mods were ****heads. Needless to say, I came over to see for myself and I saw an well run/organized board that was a lot more open to different arguments than NN. I have not posted at NN since. I may be an extreme case but it is still an example of how we affect people opinions about this place.

You do like being a part of the best gaming forum on the web don\'t you? We didn\'t get this popular by treating newbies like crap.
[/rant]

Sorry about that. I just had to get that out. :D
[SIZE=\"4\"][COLOR=\"Red\"]I\'m sorry, That\'s not a hair question.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Offline Darth Joyda
  • Replicant Dreamer
  • Legendary Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2000, 10:59:34 PM »
Yes, there could be a forum for new newbies that don\'t know nothing about PS2 and so on. And every newbie should be suggested to first check the newbie -forum out, but not force them to.

Your post sounds, KrillinX, that every Newbie MUST post there...

You know that here\'s newbies wiser than both of us ;)
[FONT=\"Impact\"][SIZE=\"4\"][COLOR=\"SlateGray\"]\"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes\"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2000, 03:01:15 PM »
i dont hink of myself as a newbie. but i dont think of myself as an expert, i have a passion for games and know some stuff about specs. i guess i would class myself as an intemediate.
An FAQ would be cool but i dont see why a new main thread for nebies cant be arranged.

Offline Seraphim Pride
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2000, 07:03:26 PM »
I wasn\'t saying they must be here I was just talking about the reoccuring posts every  now and then but I do like that this BB is very diverse and has lots of info about every system including DC, GC and Xbox.  I still think there should be a newbies forum even though I can still consider myself a partial newbie since I\'ve only been here a few months.:)

Offline SmallLady

The chibi one
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2000, 10:08:43 AM »
I\'ve said it before and I\'ll say it again- we were all newbies once. It\'s not like you have to have a zillion posts and a pic you required ages ago to have something interesting to say.

I admit though that I sometimes get a tiny little bit annoyed when I see the 20th post today about \'How can I get a pic\' etc. Maybe there should be some info page for newbies. Kinda like, read me first. Maybe new registered members could be directed to that page right after they register.
Cater To The Hollow

Offline Gollum
im a newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2000, 07:31:13 PM »
it would be cool if there was a newbie forum i have so many questions i have like da... whats a monster whatya callit, by the way how do i get a picture under your name, is there somewhere that i can get a list of these thingys :);):(that i can use?
what?!? Were you expecting a signature?

don\'t report this post to a moderator

Offline Zavijava
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2000, 08:45:29 PM »
I agree with your concern regarding redundant posts, but are you suggesting that a member with  very few # of posts should automatically be considered inexperienced within the gaming world? People begin in these forums with varied backgrounds and knowledge, and to assume that the higher number of post equals a person with intelligent questions/responses is far from accurate. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood you, but you did say "new people" and I can only assume that is what you meant.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Mr. Kennedy
  • Resident Libertarian
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2001, 03:50:57 PM »
Yes, that is something I can very well agree on!
\"In the last 12 months 100,000 private sector jobs have been lost and yet you\'ve created 30,000 public sector jobs. Prime Minister, you cannot carry on forever squeezing the productive bit of the economy in order to fund an unprecidented engorgement of the unproductive bit. You cannot spend your way out of recession or borrow your way out of debt.\" - Daniel Hannan

Follow Me on Twitter!

Offline Darth Joyda
  • Replicant Dreamer
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2001, 05:52:55 AM »
I had this idea. There just could be a forum for \'newbies\'; a \'welcome\' forum. I\'ve seen this idea being used at some forums. The forum would be used only for "Hello, I\'m new here" and question-threads to those who want to ask. And there the new users would be introduced.

No, it shouldn\'t be called a Newbie-forum, but a Welcome-forum or something. I hate those "I\'m new" -threads interrupting the Main Forum and Off-topic sometimes.

But, I don\'t think it\'s necessary right now as the pace of new registered members has slowed down. For a reason. PSX2 is out there.

I can quite remember how much newbies joined the members-group just before the launch of PS2. I was one of them ;)
[FONT=\"Impact\"][SIZE=\"4\"][COLOR=\"SlateGray\"]\"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes\"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Offline Samwise
  • Legendary Member
    • http://151.200.3.8/~vze29k6v/you.html
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2001, 07:17:00 AM »
Um, wasn\'t this topic like 2 months old?
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAPETIME!
(thanks Chizzy!)

Offline videoholic

• Silly little freak
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2001, 09:41:21 AM »
Here is something that we did on another forum.

We did essentially a faq for all of the main questions that you listed before and made it a thread.  Title the thread.

New people look here first for answers

or something like that

then we just routinely bump the thread up to the top when it gets low.  Or we can just continue to refer stupid questions to that thread.  

It cut down quite a bit of overdone questions..
I wear a necklace now because I like to know when I\'m upside down.
 kopking: \"i really think that i how that guy os on he weekend\"
TheOmen speaking of women: \"they\'re good at what they do, for what they are.\"
Swifdi:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk