Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: component video vs. s-video ..........Hey dolby I hope you see this one  (Read 2946 times)

Offline jeepnrocks

• http://gamingrocks.surfhere.net
I have my PS2 hooked up to my wega by using the component video inputs in the back of the set. ( the 3 different rca cables for red, blue and green)
  Now I have a friend that insists to me that s - video will give you a better picture because there is less signal loss. Normally I would dismiss him as not knowing what he is talking about because I have heard numerous times that component is the best you can get, next to optical video, but I reall don\'t know much about that. Thing is my buddy is very much into high end home theatre and car audio so I am now a little bit confused. I really don\'t care but I am kind of hoping he just doesn\'t know exactly what the component video is as I know he has an older trinitron that doesn\'t have that. So Dolby if your out there this post has your name written all over it so feel free to drop a bunch of that knowledge !
Thanks to any and all with the answer
Mike
It\'s over Johnny, It\'s Over

Offline videoholic

• Silly little freak
  • Legendary Member
component video vs. s-video ..........Hey dolby I hope you see this one
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2000, 04:22:11 AM »
Your friend is confused.  He is thinking of composite video where you use three cables, but only one for video.  Your RGB Component cables are the best you can do as of now on this PS2.  Once that VGA adapter comes out, well there will be one step higher...
I wear a necklace now because I like to know when I\'m upside down.
 kopking: \"i really think that i how that guy os on he weekend\"
TheOmen speaking of women: \"they\'re good at what they do, for what they are.\"
Swifdi:

Offline THX
  • nigstick
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2000, 10:37:50 AM »
I posted this before, but I think it would help just for clarification:

Composite:  Quality = Good

S-Video:  Quality = Better

Component:  Quality = Best

If your friend still thinks he\'s right, give him a lot of technical mumbo jumbo. :)  Like how Component seperates the video into 3 seperate feeds, allowing the transfer of a 31.5khz progressive video signal while Composite and S-Video cannot.  Also, S-Video cannot pass over 500 lines of resolution while component can easily transfer HDTV resolutions and higher (1080p+).

[Edited by THX on 12-11-2000 at 01:47 PM]

\"i thought america alreay had been in the usa??? i know it was in australia and stuff.\"
-koppy *MEMBER KOPKING FANCLUB*
\"I thought japaneses where less idiot than americans....\" -Adan
\"When we can press a button to transport our poops from our colon to the toilet, I\'ll be impressed.\" -Gman

Offline know-it-all-wanna-be
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2000, 03:19:47 PM »
wow!  speaking of optical video digital cable.  Do they really exist?  If what kind of tv have one(brand, etc.)  and where can I buy one.  If optical digital cable for video exist, then say bye bye to component.  Because i believe it will give the same or better quality component and it digital not analog and also it only take one cable while component takes three RCA cables...which means it will be less expensive and more convenient when hooking it up!
playstation 2 rules.  Nintendo Starcube Dolphin drools.  Hehehahahheheheh...

Offline Rushs2k
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2000, 05:35:35 AM »
Never seen optical video hookups on anything, and the PS2 doesn\'t have it so who cares. That component video cable shown above has the audio cables on it. If you have optical audio on your reciever you want to buy the Sony component cable without the extra audio cables on it.

Offline kaji
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2000, 08:26:22 AM »
I think an optical video cable would go through the i-link port of the PS2.

Optical linkups are mostly used for digital video editing, like between a digital camcorder and a G4(firewire). i think it coulsd be done, but would have to be supported on a per game basis.

And THX... 1080p!?!?! OMG!!
\"Although I\'d rather be between Misato\'s melons, this is the place I\'d like to be when I die.\"

Offline videoholic

• Silly little freak
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2000, 11:10:32 AM »
1080 progressive...  I wonder if we will see tvs with this standard in the next 20 years...  Or I guess I should say I wonder if we see 1080 Progressive Broadcast...
I wear a necklace now because I like to know when I\'m upside down.
 kopking: \"i really think that i how that guy os on he weekend\"
TheOmen speaking of women: \"they\'re good at what they do, for what they are.\"
Swifdi:

Offline THX
  • nigstick
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2000, 03:14:34 PM »
1080p is used mainly as an archival format for production studios.  As for digital video transfer, it\'s illegal due to copyright laws.  You won\'t see digital video out on DVD players, but things that you produce yourself on digital camcorders can transfer dig video via firewire as kaji mentioned.

And even though everyone calls them Digital TVs, HDTVs are very analog.  They do not display digital bits of info.  The only true digital displays are the expensive computer flatscreens.  This does not matter though, broadcast signals are sent digitally, then converted to analog in the set-top box converter right before it hits your set.  Signal loss is minimal.

\"i thought america alreay had been in the usa??? i know it was in australia and stuff.\"
-koppy *MEMBER KOPKING FANCLUB*
\"I thought japaneses where less idiot than americans....\" -Adan
\"When we can press a button to transport our poops from our colon to the toilet, I\'ll be impressed.\" -Gman

Offline KiDpAnAmA_NYC
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2000, 07:16:38 PM »
Well Jeep, I figured I\'d clarify some things for you, because its seems that quite a few people including your friend are confusing you. First off, component is the best picture possible from a PS2, secondly, there is NO such thing as an optical video cable. Optical cables are stricly for audio, and only firewire or usb is for digital editing on a PC. S-video and component both offer excellent definition, but component offers better color depth(making colors pop off the screen). Secondly, component is NOT progressive scan, it is interlaced. The only way component is progressive scan is if you have a digital TV that is capable of progressive scan. Not only that, but the equipment would also have to be progressive, which PS2 is not. Currently the PS2 is an interlaced signal just like the PSone, it can be upgraded, but not yet. Hope that helps
\"Just another gamer....\"

Offline Dolbytone
    • http://socomhq.net
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2000, 09:47:34 PM »

Just got back from a two day trip and saw this... and you\'re going to have to go with one of these guys \'cause I don\'t know jack about digital imaging, other than that used to process the SRD soundtrack on 35mm film that is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk