PS1 destroyed N64 because:
1. It was one year earlier, and had time to build up a userbase/market recognition
2. The N64 went cartridge. Games were more costly.
3. The N64 went cartridge. Games were few and far between.
4. The only machine in place to slow PSX sales before N64\'s eventual arrival was... the $400 Sega Saturn which was available at limited retailers.
5. The N64 went cartridge. Developers couldn\'t afford the risk of a poorly selling title.
6. The N64 went cartridge. Development was extremely costly.
Sony made all the right decisions last generation. But they were also fortunate that their competition made all the WRONG decisions. It\'s a bitch to be the new kid breaking into the industry. I\'m sure Sony would\'ve been fine even if Sega/Nintendo weren\'t so stupid, but we would\'ve had a close as hell 3 way race (thanks to Sony\'s money $$$$$ and marketing muscle