Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: South Korean Technology Wirelessly Charges Smart Contact Lenses  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit
South Korean Technology Wirelessly Charges Smart Contact Lenses
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:00:29 AM »

Scientists at the the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Korea have developed a technology to wirelessly charge smart contact lenses for continuous operation.

The team of scientists led by Park Jang-ung, a materials science professor at Yonsei University in Seoul, used ultrafine printing methods to build a supercapacitor, rectifying circuits and a light emitting diode inside a soft contact lens.

A supercapacitor is capable of rapidly charging and discharging electronic devices and is a key part of very small wearables that cannot use an internal battery.

The capability to make very fine and durable key components could lead to all sorts of innovations and contribute to the development of new types of smart wearable devices in the future.

"The smart lens created is flexible like any other ordinary contact lens, with its circuitry being used to check various biomarkers in a person's tears, and easily allows the wearer to experience augmented reality on par with science-fiction movies," NRF said. It stressed that this arrangement is comfortable and does not affect the wearer's vision.

Since the contact can be wirelessly charged, there is no need for a plug-in power port that can lead to safety
 issues and foreign objects getting inside the lens and affecting the circuitry. It said tests have shown there is no real rise in heat during the charging process, which is often a problem with wireless devices, and the lens can be stored in normal contact solutions, with no deformation being detected over time.

The research has been published in the latest issue of the international journal Science Advances under the title "Printing of wirelessly solid-state supercapacitors for soft, smart contact lenses with continuous operations."
https://cdrinfo.com/d7/content/south-korean-technology-wirelessly-charges-smart-contact-lenses

sounds cool and unreal at the same time.  not sure what augmented reality is but its similar to virtual reality headset i think.

Offline Jumpman

• Legendary Poster
  • Legendary Member
Re: South Korean Technology Wirelessly Charges Smart Contact Lenses
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
I bought a 30 dollar wireless charger on eBay to try to fix my Nexus 7 tablet from 2013.

I hope it works.

Been using a ghetto ass iPhone 5c as my non desktop browser ever since.
Who is this anamoly we call Jumpman? How is he able to do what he does and still survive after years of torment? It seems he feeds on the hate, growing with an intense passion to put unassuming members in their place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk