Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Researchers develop lithium-sulphur battery that can power a phone for five days  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit

Researchers led by Monash University in Australia have developed what they say is the 'most efficient' version of a lithium-sulfur battery; one capable of powering a smartphone for five full days of continuous use. The team has filed a patent for the manufacturing process they developed and they report interest from 'some of the world's largest manufacturers.'

Prototype lithium-sulfur power cells were manufactured in Germany, according to an announcement from the university published last week. The technology holds promise for revolutionizing everything from consumer gadgets like cameras and phones to larger systems involving vehicles and solar power. The newly developed lithium-sulfur battery offers more than four times the performance of the market's current most efficient batteries.

With this level of battery performance, photographers and filmmakers could spend weeks in remote locations with only power banks as their power source, eliminating the need to tote around and use solar chargers, which are dependent on direct sunlight and often take several hours or more to recharge a battery.

In addition to improved performance, the Li-S battery technology is also said to have less of an environmental impact than the lithium-ion battery products currently in use. The new battery prototype utilizes the same materials used to manufacture ordinary lithium-ion batteries; as well, the process is said to have lower manufacturing costs.

According to the university, additional testing of the technology with solar grids and cars will take place in Australia early this year. Major lithium battery manufacturers in Europe and China are interested in upscaling the production of these lithium-sulphur batteries.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0162617805/researchers-develop-lithium-sulphur-battery-that-can-power-a-phone-for-five-days

sounds interesting but i wonder if there are any drawbacks to it compares to current battery types.

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
Phone I'm buying when it releases lasts 3 days (or so Motorola claims ;) ). What's an extra 2 days?
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
wow.  didn't know your phone can last up to 3 days of battery.  that is cool.  what year model is it?  you are right its not that big of a deal if this lithium-sulphur battery can last up to 5 days when your current phone can last up to 3 days.

Added: i just re-read your post and realize you meant when the phone is releases is when you are going to buy it.  so that means it hasn't been release yet.  sorry for my bad grammar and english comprehension.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:50:51 PM by Paul2 »

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
My phone now is a Motorola G4. Old, still works but a bit glitchy because of its age. I'm lucky if my battery lasts to lunch if I use it lol. I honestly can't complain. I got over 3 years on that phone. I'm sure if I did a reset, it'd last a bit longer but it's just so outdated the apps don't work as well anymore and slows down the phone. And the battery is surely not up to par anymore. When it was new I could go a day, day and a half without a charge.

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
oh i see.  cool.  good to know that when you first got it, the battery can last up to a day to a day and a half. B)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:10:46 PM by Paul2 »

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
i am not sure if this is the motorolla phone that you are about to get but according to this website, this upcoming motorolla smartphone that supports 5G can receive data up to 4.2 gbps.  that is a lot of data that it can wirelessly receive in a second.  pretty cool. B)

here is the link to the website:
https://cdrinfo.com/d7/content/verizon-and-samsung-achieve-42-gbps-live-5g-network

and here is a small quote of it:

Samsung joined Verizon to conduct a 5G network demonstration to further advance the performance of 5G, achieving peak speeds of 4.2 gigabits per second on its live 5G network...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:12:30 AM by Paul2 »

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
IIRC, the 5G is an addon. They have a phone where you can put on Moto Mods, which has a port on the back that you can attach things like projectors, cameras, batteries and a 5G module. I don't think they'll have one out in the next year that has 5G built in. And the 5G module is only available from Verizon (at least the phone you can put on the Moto Mod).

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
i see.  didn't know, now i do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk