Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Changing a laser on a PS2  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
Changing a laser on a PS2
« on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »
Got bored and decided to permanently fix my 30001 model PS2. We all remember the infamous disc read error. What basically causes it is a weak laser. You can try raising the laser height, adjusting the pentiometer, or put it in the freezer (which we learned from GAMES didn't work  :laughing: ). These can be temporary reprieves but it will eventually fail. But a nice permanent fix is just replacing the damn laser for 15 bucks. You can get OEM lasers on Amazon. I made a video on how to do it. Gotta keep busy during lockdown :) Also, be kind. This is my first video :)

Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

Offline Kurt Angle

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: Supes1975
Re: Changing a laser on a PS2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 02:20:01 AM »
Nice job on that. I guess it helps a lot having the correct tools for the job and you look to be nicely prepared to get it done. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:56:42 AM by Titan »

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
Nice job on that. I guess it helps a lot having the correct tools for the job and you look to be nicely prepared to get it done. :thumbsup:

I've opened that PS2 so many times in the past lol. I used to do it with just a phillips head screw driver and a jewelers screw driver (for the drive cover). Otherwise to replace the laser, you just need a soldering iron to remove that solder point. So really, it's tools you probably have lying around, minus the soldering iron (which if you have a Harbor Freight equivalent in the UK, you can pick a cheap one up for like 10/15 bucks). I got that fancy screwdriver set because I knew I'd be working on a lot of electronics. That kit also came with a game bit so I can open NES cartridges (all mine work now :D I had to polish the games contacts but you need to open the cartridge up). I got the soldering iron because I needed to occupy my time during my furlough so I took up soldering lol. 30 bucks for the kit on Amazon and it came with some good stuff.

I actually just bought an original Xbox yesterday that may or may not work. I should have it in a few weeks. I probably won't video that one though if I do need to crack it open because I honestly don't know a lot about them. All I know is if I need to replace that hard drive or anything like that, I'll need to hack the console. Microsoft makes their consoles extremely difficult to work on, unlike Sony (but the slim PS3 was a bit of a pain, but serviceable none the less. It's just more disassembly of little parts as opposed to PS2). But if I'm going to be buying and reselling these consoles, I need to be familiar with them :)

EDIT: Sorry Kurt. I accidentally hit "Modify" instead of "Quote" on your post and made my post thinking it was quoted :(

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:13 AM »
i just watched and skimmed your video somewhat.  so i noticed you recorded this in 60p at 1080p.  very nice.  is it a camera's phone or its a stand a lone camcorder that you used to record this?  what was the music that plays at the end of the video?

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:14:42 AM »
i just watched and skimmed your video somewhat.  so i noticed you recorded this in 60p at 1080p.  very nice.  is it a camera's phone or its a stand a lone camcorder that you used to record this?  what was the music that plays at the end of the video?

I used a standalone camcorder. It's a Canon Vixia W10. It's a waterproof camcorder I got for when my girlfriend and I go kayaking. It's ok for a camcorder. I've used better and I've used worse. It's average lol. I used 3 songs. One is the theme from Shadow of the Colossus and the other two were Chinese and Wild West from TimeSplitters 2. These were private videos so I figured I could get away without having a copyright claim launched at me :) If I start making these public, the game music will likely not be a feature.

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »