Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: PlayStation 5 Full Specs Revealed  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit
PlayStation 5 Full Specs Revealed
« on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
PlayStation 5's full specs list has been revealed.

A full spec list for the PlayStation 5 has been revealed first at Digital Foundry.
CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
External Storage: USB HDD Support
Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

PS5 Specs Reveal Presentation

PS5 will have a 10.3 teraflop graphics processor, capped at 2.23GHz. It's main CPU is capped at 3.5GHz.

PS5's ray tracing capabilities will bring benefits to audio, lighting, shadows, and reflections.
10 IMAGES

The PS5 features a custom I/O unit and a custom flash controller.

PS5 has a 825GB custom SSD storage drive with a special flash controller designed for super fast transfer speeds - up to 5.5GB per second.

Sony did not want to use a 10x faster SSD in the PS5 as the end-user result would only be twice as fast.

Instead, a 100x faster SSD will provide a 100X faster end-user result.
The biggest talking point will be the console's 10.28 teraflop GPU. Recent discussion around consoles has centred around teraflops - a measure of how many calculations the GPU can perform per second. Many will be quick to point to the drop off from Xbox Series X's 12 teraflop GPU, although system architect Mark Cerny pointed out how that doesn't tell the full story, even calling it "dangerous" to rely on that count as an indicator of performance.

The pitch is that the PS5's custom RDNA 2 GPU is optimised and improved in ways beyond teraflop count, such that it will offer power beyond that expected from it.

Internal storage coming in at a non-standard 825GB count points to how this is a custom solid state drive, designed to offer extremely quick load times and do away with the long patch installs familiar to PS4 owners. It can also be expanded using off-the-shelf NVMe SSD drives (inserted into a slot in the console) - however, those drives will need to physically fit the slot. You'll probably want to hold off buying one in advance to find out what Sony recommends...
https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-full-specs-revealed

sounds very cool too.  good that is backward compatible with most ps4 games but i think microsoft did a better job of making their xbox series x backward compatible with all of their generation consoles from regular xbox to xbox 360 and to xbox one too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:20:34 PM by Paul2 »

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
The PS5 Won't Have the Long Install Times the PS4 Has
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
Install times will be faster on the PS5.

During today's Road to PS5 presentation, Sony PlayStation chief architect Mark Cerny revealed some of the big changes coming to the next-gen consoles, including the switch to SSDs which among other things, will eliminate the long game installs that exist as it does today on PS4.
An early portion of Cerny's PS5 tech talk revolves around the switch to SSDs, which he says will promise much faster performance on the next-gen consoles. One area in which this will become noticeable is installing new games or patches.

Currently, when a PS4 game downloads a patch onto the HDD, the console will take a long time to install the patch. This is because a brand new file has to be created each time a new patch is downloaded, or else the game will add a new seek and create performance problems later on.

A game with numerous patches on the PS4 will sometimes exhibit performance issues because of added Seek time, or the measure of time it takes for a computer to find a piece of data on a hard drive.

"With an SSD though, no seeks. So no need to make brand-new files with the changes incorporated. Which means no installs as you know them today," Cerny revealed.

With the speed Cerny is promising with the PS5 thanks to an SSD, games will load faster, developers will have more maneuverability and space to design bigger games, and thankfully, there will be fewer install times.
https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-wont-have-the-long-install-times-the-ps5-has

sounds very cool.  if i comprehend it correctly, that means games on ps5 will load as much as 100 times faster on ps5 than on older consoles such as ps4.  very nice. <3 :wav:

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
Re: PlayStation 5 Full Specs Revealed
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »
...The PS5 will also have a 4K Blu-Ray drive though games will still need to be installed to the SSD.

Starting with the console's SSD, Cerny said that for PS4, a hard drive could take up to 20 seconds to load 1GB of data. And 1GB is often on the low end of data to wait for. But on PS5, there will be more bandwidth and no seek time. He said for 2Gb, you can load in 0.27 seconds. This can also reduce the time for fast travel in adventure games. This is achieved through a custom SSD that is like nothing currently available on the market.

Using an SDD can also lead to faster streaming from storage. On HDDs, developers may have to duplicate the environment. Additionally, on an HDD, patch installs can take a long time because it needs to add a new file. But with PS5's SSD, this isn't necessary.

"No installs as you know them today," Cerny said.

The PS5 uses a custom flash controller for the SSD with a 12-channel interface with bandwidth of 5.5GBps. The "natural size," Cerny said, is 825 GB.

The flash controller will connect over PCIe 4.0 to the PS5's main custom AMD Zen 2 chip.

The PS5 will also support certain M.2 PCIe SSDs on the market. Those commercial drives need to reach the same 5.5GB/s that Sony is promising. M.2 drives with PCIe 4.0 should support that, but those will have their own flash controllers. Sony says its compatibility testing and benchmarking drives to come up with a list of which drives will fit in the PS5 and which have worked well in testing.

The PS5 won’t just be limited to that SSD, though. It’ll have support for USB hard drives, too, but those slower expandable storage options are designed mostly for backward-compatible PS4 games. You can install via an external HDD for older PS4 games.

It’ll also feature a previously announced 4K Blu-ray drive and will still support discs, but those games will still require installation to the internal SSD.

The PS5 will also have 16GB of GDDR6 RAM. Games and loading should be 100x faster, Cerny said...
https://cdrinfo.com/d7/content/sony-unveils-playstation-5-hardware-details

Here is more information about sony proprietary SDD that can read up to 5.5 GBytes of data in a second which should be about 100 times faster than hdd which read from 50 MBytes to 100 Mbytes of data per a second.  so like cerny said, loading time should be way faster than a HDD.  awesome!!! :wav:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:39:02 PM by Paul2 »

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
Sony: 'Overwhelming Majority' of PS4 Games Will be Playable on PS5
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
It was reported earlier this week that most of the top 100 most played PlayStation 4 games will work on the PlayStation 5 on launch day. However, Sony Interactive Entertainment has provided an update saying that the majority of PS4 games will be playable on PS5.

"With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5," said Sony. "We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

"We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

"In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!"

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/442838/sony-overwhelming-majority-of-ps4-games-will-be-playable-on-ps5/

great news that over 4,000 plus ps4 games will be forward compatible with ps5 and just as great news that they may benefits higher and stable frame rate and/or higher resolution too from the boosted frequency of the ps5.  got me hype.  cool! :wav:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 04:57:47 PM by Paul2 »

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
Wait. So does this mean I can take my PS4 games and toss them in my PS5 and presto, they work? What about saves? Can I transfer those over? Would be a damn shame if I have to start all over again in my games :)
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob

"13 year old girls sleep with older men cause they think theyre in love
13 year old boys sleep with older women cause theyd be stupid not to

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
yes.  you can put your ps4 games on ps5 and they work.  not sure about saves though.

Offline Kurt Angle

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: Supes1975
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 01:05:58 AM »
I may well get a ps5 when it’s released as the backwards compatibility appeals to me. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t get a PS4 as I still wanted to be able to play my previous gen games.

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 07:27:33 AM »
I may well get a ps5 when it’s released as the backwards compatibility appeals to me. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t get a PS4 as I still wanted to be able to play my previous gen games.

I got around that by keeping all my PlayStations hooked up :D I actually still get games once in a while for my PS3 on Amazon. And the PS3 plays the PS1 games very nicely, especially with the virtual memory card. Don't have to worry about tracking them down. Sony kind of shot themselves in the foot over the years by making the PlayStations too different to be able to play previous generation games. On PS3, they could only get backwards compatibility by putting in PS2 chips. But they were able to get PS1 games to play easily on PS3 because of how PS1 games were developed. They couldn't get PS3 games to play on PS4 due to the Cell processor and the unique way games had to be coded. But it's great they finally figured it out. We've only been asking for it for 15 fucking years lol.

Offline Caio

• PSN ID: Bizio-
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
Fantastic Thread, time to bring back some old members :D

I'm BizioEE, and happy to be back here.  PS5 is quiet interesting piece of hardware, and I cannot wait to see the first games.  The SSD is estremely fast, and together with the whole architecture, can be a Game changer.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

Offline Caio

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
Developer Confirms Most Wanted Feature For PlayStation 5 | PS5 Geometry Engine Explained

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »

I'm BizioEE, and happy to be back here.  PS5 is quiet interesting piece of hardware, and I cannot wait to see the first games.  The SSD is estremely fast, and together with the whole architecture, can be a Game changer.

Hot damn! I checked your old profile. It's been nearly 10 years since you logged on. How'd you figure we still existed? lol

Also, ignore the crappiness of the forum right now. We just did a major upgrade which defaulted to the default look of the software. I'm updating the look at some point this week :D

Offline Caio

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »

Hot damn! I checked your old profile. It's been nearly 10 years since you logged on. How'd you figure we still existed? lol

Also, ignore the crappiness of the forum right now. We just did a major upgrade which defaulted to the default look of the software. I'm updating the look at some point this week :D

Yep, it's a long time, but I'm back, and very happy :)     Tomorrow I will most probably start a new Thread :D     It's time to work here again !
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:28:17 PM by Caio »

Offline Kurt Angle

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: Supes1975
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
Woah! Welcome back  :wave:

Good to see someone from back in the day come back. I'm sure we can give you access to  your old account if you forgot your password too if you like.  B)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:08:33 PM by Kurt Angle »

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 01:47:13 PM »
Agree with Kurt. It wouldn't be too hard. We have super powers on here  >:D Let me know what you want to do Bizio. I can reset your account for you.

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »