Hello

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Monster CPU Is 100,000 Times More Powerful Than the Xbox Series X  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Paul2

• Breath of the Earth
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: jokermit
The Xbox Series X and PS5 are set to release with the most advanced processors ever to power a home console, putting them on par with some modern gaming PCs. While there are rumors of new incoming graphics cards that’ll blow even those out of the water, one lesser-known chip maker has already done it.

Meet the Cerebras Wafer Scale Engine Generation 2, an absolutely massive, dinner plate-sized processor featuring 850,000 cores and 2.6 trillion transistors. While this gargantuan CPU, which is designed for supercomputers, might seem completely unrelated to the upcoming consoles, the chip here and the ones powering the next Xbox and PlayStation were all made by TSMC using the same 7nm process – so in a way, they’re all siblings.

The major difference with the Cerebras Wafer Scale Engine Generation 2 is, of course, it’s just much, much larger. In fact, compared to Xbox Series X's 8 cores and 15.4 billion transistors, Cerebras’ chip has 849,992 more cores and 2,598,460,000,000 more transistors. The PS5 and its 8-core processor is similarly outclassed.

To produce anywhere near the same level of processing power, you would need somewhere in the ballpark of 106,250 next-gen consoles. I hope your wallet is ready.
https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-cpu-is-100000-times-more-powerful-than-the-xbox-series-x

whoa.  that is a lot of processing power there.  i wonder how much does something like this cost?

Offline Titan

• Sniper Kitten
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • PSN ID: flightlessbeaker
Re: Monster CPU Is 100,000 Times More Powerful Than the Xbox Series X
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:28:51 AM »
That sounds expensive.
Liquid Spam of The Spaminators
"That took some balls to stick a gun in his pants." -Gman
"LOL u know id fuck yu wsboth right? i would love to fuck the both of uyouy

U R FUCJKGIN FCUTE" -THX to luke and Bob